Sint-Janscollege – Ghent, Belgium
The school is near the historical Flemish city, Ghent which is located a rich, rapidly expanding economic and industrial region with a world renowned harbor. A very innovative city. Ghent has the ambitious plan to become a 100% energy-neutral town in the near future.
- attended by over 1000 students aged 14 to 18; and educated by 120 teachers.
- a general secondary school focusing on studies of old and modern languages (French, English, German, Latin and Greek), mathematics, humanities and economics.
- Most of the students live in residential areas around Ghent and travel to school by bike.
- About 15% of student body of a migrant background.
- The school building meets all safety standards and the needs of the disabled and those with reduced mobility.
- facilities include: a well-stocked library; 2 computer rooms; internet access, projectors and computers in every classroom; some smartboards; a garden; 2 large rooms that seat 100 people, one equipped with complete audio- and video technology and with Internet connection; 2 gyms (one has been constructed in a completely sustainable way).
- Citizenship education and social engagement are very important at our school: we have projects developing the social skills of students, thus teaching them to care for other people and our planet.